Blue dot spoon background

Thursday, 14 April 2011

Cookbook Review: British Food Bible



A definite 10 stars - a truly great book, and amazing value. I find so many cookbooks are filled with fancy food that I don't want to cook, or they skip past the basic food in favour of something impressive sounding. This book is a wonderful mix of regional British dishes and clear instructions. Everything I've made from it so far has worked very well.

To give you a couple of examples of Chapters and Recipes -

English Breakfasts: traditional Porridge; Kedgeree
Meat, Game & Poultry: Game Pie; Steak & Kidney Pudding; Toad in The Hole
Vegetables & Salads: Pan Haggarty; Colcannon; Glazed Turnips
Tea Time Treats: includes Crumpets, Tea Cakes and Lemonade

I really didn't need another cookbook, however I bought this book for a friend at Christmas, and at buy-one-get-one-free from Tescos - I simply had to add a copy to my ever-blossoming collection of recipes! I've written this review mainly because I was going to link to it for the Beef Stew with Dumplings post, but I can't find a copy of it in an online bookshop anywhere, even using its ISBN.

There are found 4 copies for sale on eBay at £10 including delivery.

But it was still available to buy last week from our local Tescos, at a billy-bargain price of £5!

No comments:

Post a Comment