Blue dot spoon background

Tuesday, 3 May 2011

Herbed Cabbage


I didn't like cabbage as a child. Realising I did actually like cabbage was a sign of maturity - I was 24.

Children aren't supposed to like cabbage. If other people didn't like it then I was just certain that I wouldn't like it either... Like sprouts. They're just "urgh" aren't they?!

Umm, no. Aside from being delicious, and good for you - cabbage is also very pretty. It shouldn't make a difference in whether or not something is edible, but it totally does. 


This recipe is another I have pilfered from BBC Good Food although I'd change it a fair bit. As flavoured as this dish was, it should be more. More herbs. More garlic. More yum.

There are 3 ways of making this dish, the way the recipe says, the way I made it in these pictures, and the way I will try next time. Sorry to make it all too complicated, I know it's only cabbage.

I didn't have any goose fat as per the original recipe. I'm a bit fed up of buying expensive only use once ingredients - but I think the plan here is that you make this cabbage on Christmas day and you would already have some for your roasties. (Have you that yet? You really should.) You can buy a jar and keep it in your fridge for months, so if I can find it I will try next time, I reckon it will add some va-va-voom.

Also - the original recipe says to remove the herbs you add in once you flavour the shallots. I did a bit of both for this dish - because I left in some chopped rosemary. Next time I'm going to crush one garlic clove and add that in with even more chopped rosemary. I didn't have shallots and I used leeks as they were in the fridge. It still tasted nice, but I will probably try it with onion next time.

Serves 4- 6

Ingredients

1 savoy cabbage
1 tbsp olive oil (or 4 tbsp goose fat)
1 medium leek. (or 4 shallots, or 1 onion)
2 sprigs of rosemary
2 garlic cloves

Instructions
  • Finely chop your your leek/shallots, 1 sprig of rosemary and 1 clove of garlic. Leave to one side
  • Quarter the cabbage, remove the core and shred thinly
  • Quickly blanch the cabbage in salted boiling water for 3 minutes


  • Then tip it all into a colander in the sink, and hold under cold water till cool. Drain well.
  • Heat the olive oil (or goose fat) in a pan till hot and sauté the leek/onion/shallots, rosemary and one whole garlic clove and one crushed garlic clove for 5 minutes


  • Discard the whole clove of garlic, and rosemary sprig
  • Add the cooled cabbage and heat through. This gets steamy!
  • Season & enjoy.



I'm trying to resist the temptation of adding bacon to this. You know it would taste SO good. In fact, the bacon might save you the purchase of goose-fat. Bacon flavour that also saves you money? Well all right then. 

7 comments:

  1. My dad does something similar where he uses cream, bacon and cabbage as one of the veg for his roasts. it's very yummy, and def not good for you! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, maybe I'll have to pop round one Sunday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cabbage and bacon? Is it just me, or should this blog be called Maggie's Irish Baking? This is becoming a trend!
    Carmina Bezalina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also used a few leeks as a unintentional nod to my Welsh roots too! I can't help it. I know Ireland isn't British, but in my head it kind of counts.

    At least I didn't boil my cabbage in bacon water for a real authentic dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious, and with bacon too, or chorizo, or chestnuts. Mmm, mouth watering as I type.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chestnuts would make a lovely addition for a dinner party! Smart thinking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks very tasty. I too disliked it as a child because my mum always cooked it for hours but now I love it. Like the addition of rosemary.

    ReplyDelete