Blue dot spoon background

Saturday, 7 May 2011

Pineapple Upside Down Cake



I know, I know. A nice glacé cherry would really cheer this cake up - but I say - wouldn't that be a bit Eighties? A bit cliché? Actually, it's just because I don't like glacé cherries, which is a damn shame - they always seem so cute and filled with all the very best E-numbers!

This recipe for Pineapple Upside Down is really one of my favourites. It's very easy, very quick and quite forgiving. I believe the proper ones can take a good hour or two to cook - so this might not have the perfect sponge - but actually, you're only eating this cake for 2 reasons, the pineapple and the sugar crust and don't pretend otherwise! I use a bigger tin than the one from the official recipe, because then I can use the whole tin of pineapples, but you do get quite a scant sponge. I doubled the sponge for these pictures, but I don't think it tasted as nice. Serve with some whipping cream with a bit of the pineapple syrup stirred in. Then invite me round please!

For the Topping:

50g softened butter
50g light soft brown sugar
7 pineapple rings, tinned in syrup
Glacé cherries (optional!)

Instructions:

In a large bowl, use a spoon, or hand held whisk to mix the butter and sugar together till creamy. Spread out onto the bottom of a 20cm+ cake tin, smearing a little bit up the sides too. Drain the pineapple rings, keeping the syrup, and arrange into the tin, along with your cherries. 


For the Sponge:

100g softened butter
100g golden caster sugar
100g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
 2 tbsp pineapple syrup

Instructions:

So simple - put all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk them all together!



 Spread out over your pineapple layer, put into an oven heated to 180°C for 30-35 minutes. Leave for a few minutes before you cross your fingers and flip upside-down! A great cake tin really helps with this. I use a spring form cake tin which makes this very simple.

Enjoy! If you do get any left over, it tastes just as lovely the next day with a cuppa.



Hint: I've been known to prepare the pineapple layer, and make the cake batter, a couple of hours before dinner. Then as I serve up our main course, I fix the two pudding layers together and slip into the oven. 

4 comments:

  1. Your cakes are great.

    And I liked the Oats on top, Matt just does not appreciate healthy stuff.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ben :)

    If it's not wrapped in pastry Matt wont like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh I haven't had one of these for such a long time - thanks for the recipe. Are you going to do an even more involved one later ?
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mike, sorry to take so long to get back to you!

    If I ever remember to ask my Dad I certainly will, but then again he's got lots for me to try!

    ReplyDelete