OK, so this is a recipe for a standard vanilla sponge cake. It's a candle that makes a Birthday Cake, but I defy you to not think of birthdays every time you eat a bit of sponge with jam and buttercream.
Actually, I might try that challenge myself one day.... Indeed, it could even make a regular event:
"Does this cake taste like birthdays?"
"Yes."
"Oh well, better luck tomorrow!"
But let's not get ahead of ourselves, or our waistlines. This quantity is for 2 x 7 inch round cake tins. For other sizes, and for more variations on flavour - I implore you to buy this book which has some superb starter cake recipes and many many cake designs.
Ingredients:
300g softened butter
300g caster sugar
5 eggs (recipe calls for medium, but I always use large)
4 tbsp milk
400g self-raising flour
1 tbsp of vanilla extract
Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 160°C, and grease and line 2 x 7" cake tins.
- I use a cheap electric hand whisker to cream together the butter and sugar till you see the mixture lighten
- Lightly mix the eggs, milk and vanilla extract in a separate bowl
- Sieve out your flour into a third container
- Put the hand whisk on a low setting, and start to pour the egg mix into the butter and sugar, alternating with the flour until it is all mixed together. Don't over whisk.
See Also: Icing; Jam

No comments:
Post a Comment